Thursday, January 12, 2012

Edward and Wallis

I've always been fascinated by the British royal family. My Grandmother Terrell was terribly British in her ways  (Heavy Tea drinker, very conservative, not overly demonstrative) and I've always attributed my love all things British to her. 
One of the most fascinating stories of the Windsors is that of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson. I don't know why I'm fascinated by this story of a king who gives up his throne for "the woman he loves" more than any other. Perhaps it was because I watched the Masterpiece Theatre production of the story, maybe it was the Jane Seymour/Anthony Andrews version (by the way, Wallis was no where as gorgeous as Jane). I think the real reason is that despite everything he never gives her up and he literally gives up nearly everything to be with her.  Maybe it's the whole romance of the story. I don't know, but it is fascinating.
The thing I found myself speculating on is that had he not given her up, Queen Elizabeth II would have ascended the throne in 1972 (the date of the Duke of Windsor's death). No, I don't believe that Wallis and David would have had children.  They were too much the jet-setters to do that. Imagine the course of many of the world's events. World War II would have really been interesting due to the speculation (some well founded) of the Windsor's Nazi sympathies.
Yes, he would have been an interesting king, but he makes for much more interesting love story.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another informative website. The place else may just I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal manner? I have a mission that I'm just now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such information.
    Bogs Women's Classic High Tuscany Rain Boot

    ReplyDelete