Saturday, January 21, 2012

One Hit Wonders: The 80's

My good friend Lyn recently posted a survey on Facebook about favorite One-Hit Wonders. I love one hit wonders because I don't have bother buying an entire album/cd/download to get the one song that the band/artist will forever be known for.

What are some of my favorite one hit wonders? Well, I'll tell you....(I got these from a great website, but I do take issue with a few of their choice of "one-hit wonders.")
I will start with the era of music I love best... the 1980's!

Turning Japanese by the Vapours
Cars by Gary Numan
Mexican Radio by Wall of VoodooThe Politics of Dancing by Re-Flex
Funkytown by Lipps, Inc.
I Know What Boys Like by The Waitresses
Genius of Love by the Tom Tom Club
Love + 1 by Haircut One Hundred
Fantasy by Aldo Nova
Whip It by Devo (although I personally don't consider them a one hit wonder. They had other hits)
Tainted Love by Soft Cell (THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME!!!)
I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow
I've Never Been to Me by Charlene (technically a 70's song, but it was re-released in the 80's as a hit)
Far From Over by Frank Stallone (yep, Sly's brother)
Whirly Girl by Oxo
Shiny Shiny by Haysi Fantayzee
She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby
Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
They Don't Know by Traci Ullman
Der Komissar by After the Fire
Come On, Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners
In a Big Country by Big Country
Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly) by Icicle Works
Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (I love FGTH!)
99 Luftballoons by Nena
Running Up that Hill by Kate Bush
Perfect Way by Scritti Politti
Cool Places by Sparks (with Jane Weidlin) (Sparks is my all time favorite band)
Let's Go All the Way by Sly Fox
The Captain of Her Heart by Double
Diggin' Your Scene by the Blow Monkeys
Welcome to the Boomtown by David & David
Funkytown by Pseudo Echo
Jane's Getting Serious by Jon Astley
The Honeythief by Hipsway
Right on Track by The Breakfast Club
Breakout by Swing Out Sister (they did have another hit in the 90's though)
Hot! Hot! Hot! by Buster Poindexter (who I met in Chicago on my honeymoon)
Under the Milky Way by The Church
Love Changes Everything by Climie Fisher
Beds are Burning by Midnight Oil
I Melt with You by Modern English

Next edition will be the 1970's.

No comments:

Post a Comment