Monday, July 7, 2014

DC Comics Presents!

So, I heard that in the next season of the CW's Arrow television series, Brandon Routh (former Superman) is joining the cast as Ray Palmer a.k.a. The Atom.  Also, there will be a new Constantine series (which I'm pretty excited for)

I like the fact that DC is going with television for a lot of their characters. Several years ago, I thought how great it would be if one of these fledgling networks would create a show for DC comic characters. Base it off their wonderful comic called DC Showcase. Each episode would introduce a character and then maybe spin them off into a separate series or have the character return for an additional episode or two.

This got me thinking again. What characters would I like to see put on the screen. Now, I realize some of the characters may have been in Smallville or maybe even Arrow, but here are my choices... (BTW, these aren't all the ones I'd like to see.)

The Creeper. Jack Ryder was an arrogant news reporter who becomes a maniacal vigilante who may or may not be completely sane.

 Plastic Man. Eel O'Brien was a gangster who accidentally was doused with a chemical giving him the power to stretch and form himself into any shape he wants. This character was very comical and a lot of fun to read as a kid.

Zatanna.  The daughter of a Golden Age Hero called Zatara, she is a stage magician who can perform real magic by saying what she wants to happen by speaking it backwards. I think she may have been on Smallville, but I'd like for a solo adventure to happen for her.

Black Canary. I know that Diana Laurel Lance is on Arrow, but she need to be the superhero that we have all have come to know and love.

The Doom Patrol. The strangest superhero team ever assembled. The actual team was Robot Man, Negative Man, and Elasti-Girl. They were lead by Dr. Niles Caulder, called the Chief. This group had some crazy adventures and really created a stir when they sacrificed themselves to save a village in New England. Of course, they were revived many, many years later. Beast Boy was added at one point as well as Elasti-Girl's boyfriend, Steve Dayton, a.k.a. Mento.


The Metal Men. I loved this series as a kid. I got excited when they made guest appearances in other books. They were essentially solid blocks of metal that had a device in them that gave me sentient life. My personal favorite was the cynical Mercury, but the other members were Gold, Iron, Lead, Tin, and Platinum. They were lead by Dr. Will Magnus.

The Endless. Neil Gaiman's brilliantly written series about a character called The Sandman (not ot be confused with the Golden Age hero) introduced these ethereal beings. Sandman was actually called Dream. His brother and sisters were: Destiny, Delirium, Desire, Despair, Destruction, and my personal favorite, Death.

The Phantom Stranger. One of my favorite characters in the DC Universe because there really isn't much known about him. He wanders the world and aids, but never interferes with the lives of men.

So, what do you think? What DC heroes would you add to this list?






2 comments:

  1. I would add:

    The Question

    Booster Gold

    The Suicide Squad (Original Version)

    and of course the greatest DC character of all...

    Codpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    I would agree that The Question would be a great character to be adapted to television as well as The Suicide Squad (although, I prefer the Super-villain version). Booster Gold would be fun as long as we got Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) on board.
    Another group I'd like to see a TV version of is the non super-powered, The Secret Six (60's version)
    Thanks for reading and keep commenting!

    ReplyDelete